Holy smokes. Not being an avid follower of MTV or their music awards show, the national news has more than adequately covered the antics of Miley Cyrus on the recent MTV awards show. The buzz is all about her TWERKING…now there’s a word I’d never heard of before, so I looked it up. According to the Urban Dictionary, it’s TWERK, which means:
- The rhythmic gyrating of the lower fleshy extremities in a lascivious manner with the intent to elicit sexual arousal or laughter in ones intended audience
- to work one’s body, as in dancing, especially the rear end
- The vigorously shaking of your Gluteus Maximus
- Ghetto dancing
- white girls in yoga pants having sex with the air or black girls in 2 sizes too small shorts having sex with the wall
- a fancy word for ‘booty-poppin”
- the action of standing (usually in a squatting position) with your hands either on your thighs or not; then moving your back and butt up and down, making it jiggle , LMFAO. usually girls do it at clubs , sometimes they’re ratchet and do it at school for boys , to seek attention from the men)
Wikipedia has a much more concise explanation:
Twerking is a dance move that involves a person, usually a woman, shaking her hips in an up-and-down bouncing motion, causing the dancer to shake, “wobble” and “jiggle.” This motion, when incorporated into dance moves, is also referred to as “sissing” (sexual intercourse simulation). When done by men it’s usually directed at a particular person, often female, to indicate a disrespectful assessment of her reputation.
Wow, I mean…seriously Miley? How old are you now….20? 21? Do you truly believe that women are worth nothing more than their sexuality? Where is your sense of dignity? With all that acting and vocal talent, is ‘twerking’ really what you wanted the world to know about the dignity and self-esteem of Miley Cyrus?
Have you been hanging out with Charlie Sheen? Not that long ago, I had a few thoughts about his behavior as well. My message to Charlie is exactly what I’d like to say to you right now.
But, rather than repeat all that, I’ll just net it out for you, Miley: SNAP OUT OF IT! American’s are all abuzz about your performance, and it’s NOT with admiration…of that you can be sure.
You were born with a gift. And news flash: it’s not the gift of sex…surely you are aware that every animal on earth has that gift? It’s certainly not unique to YOU.
Is the discovery of sex so thrilling to you that you have to act it out in the raunchiest manner possible to prove that you aren’t a little kid anymore? Well, you got America’s attention with your performance….the Twitter frenzy and media frenzy ensured that YOUR NAME has been prohibited at dinner tables across the country where families with young girls were following your amazing career which originally showcased your TRUE gift as a vocalist, but in recent years you were clearly shifting your image. And now? You’ve become the poster child for TWERKING.
You and Charlie Sheen, same self-destruct behaviors. He’s OLD….you’re young. It’s not too late to turn it around, Miley. But that’s only a choice you can make for yourself. The media will be watching closely because they REVEL in the failure of others, solely because American’s eat it up at the newsstands. Like I said when I wrote about Charlie, America needs to snap out of this idolization of a crap culture that brings nothing but destruction to anyone foolish enough to crave a life of hell.